This course focuses on the modeling, operation and control design of AC microgrids for resilient and efficient integration of renewable/non-renewable energy resources and storage technologies. The simulation handbook and exercises provided in the course are based on real-use cases and will be extremely useful to develop insights into AC microgrid control and management for industry practitioners and researchers.
- To be able to understand the concepts of distributed AC power systems and microgrids.
- To be able to understand the various configurations and applications of AC microgrid systems.
- To be able to understand and implement the various control schemes for power electronic converters employed in AC microgrids including voltage source inverter (VSI)
- To be able to understand how power electronics converters are integrated to form AC pico, nano and smart Microgrids with their operation and control in grid-connected and islanded mode
- To be able to understand and design the droop control schemes for the parallel operation of power converters.
- To be able to understand Hierarchical control on AC microgrids with the simulation-based implementation of primary, and secondary layers.
Use of content and licenses
Josep M. Guerrero is an Associate Professor at Aalborg University where he teaches courses on digital signal processing, control theory, and renewable energy systems. Since 2004, he has been responsible for the Renewable Energy Lab, Escola Industrial de Barcelona. His research interests include photovoltaics, wind energy conversion, uninterruptible power supplies, storage energy systems, and microgrids.
Yajuan Guan is currently working as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Energy Technology, Aalborg University, Denmark. Her research interests include microgrids, distributed generation systems, power converter for renewable energy generation systems, and ancillary services for microgrids.